Happy Canada Day

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

gluttonie
Peon

Happy Canada Day

Postby gluttonie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:15 am

may every Canadian receive their government appointed penguin with pride...even though there is not a single river in Canada you can imagine you have a personal river when you drink Canada Dry today.
Where did all the good sizzle go?

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:02 am

So wait Canada gets one day to celebrate being Canada and the other 364 days a year you just wishfully dream aboot being annexed by the USA?

Argagarg
End Game

Postby Argagarg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 pm

july 1st is our equivalent to july 4th only we are still essentially slaves to the queen.

Kguku
Sr. Peon

Postby Kguku » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:01 pm

In 82 that changed with the Canada Act and the amendment to the Constitution Act.

Argagarg
End Game

Postby Argagarg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Just because she doesn't have direct control doesn't mean we are free. She still plays a role in our government. The governor general is a good example of that along with her face on my money. The US is completely free no footing the bill for visits or having to stick her mug on their money or stupid ceremonies.

Kguku
Sr. Peon

Postby Kguku » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:27 pm

You realize that we choose to do that, don't you? The British have no say in how we govern, nor what we do. We pay nothing to the British gov't, nor to the royal family.

When the Royals are invited visit, we pay for it, but so do all the other countries that they are invited to visit, including the US.

We stay in the Common Wealth by choice. The Common Wealth has many benefits for trade, travel, work visas and more.

The Governor General is there as a symbol and is a ceremonial function, nothing more. It's to pay homage to a history, and has been part of parliament since the start. The appointment is basically made by the PM as he says who he wishes to have appointed and the Queen rubber stamps it. It's part of tradition.

You should really learn more about your own country because to say we're not free and/or are slaves to the Monarchy or England is just asinine.

gluttonie
Peon

Postby gluttonie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:36 pm

and int 2005 they enacted the no penguin left behind act.
Where did all the good sizzle go?

Kguku
Sr. Peon

Postby Kguku » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:52 pm

I wish we had penguins, fuck you south pole!

Argagarg
End Game

Postby Argagarg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 pm

I know plenty about Canada and you are taking what I said out of context. Comparing July 1st to July 4th; Unlike the US we still spend millions of dollars annually on traditions instilled by the monarchy. The governor general is not just a overpaid figure head its essentially the queen but in a coma.

"Every year I fill my bathtub with money and burn it. is it right? no but my former master use to make me do it so I continue to do it to keep everyone happy. I mean umm because its tradition"

Clearly using the word :slave: was the wrong word instead I should have wrote a long paragraph on a subject that means nothing to the Americans that it was meant to inform on the significance of july 1st

Rovers
End Game

Fat Bears

Postby Rovers » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Kguku wrote:I wish we had penguins, fuck you south pole!

I second that motion although it may lead to a lot of well fed polar bears.

Return to “Agony General”