The potential of a fury warrior

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Wed May 03, 2006 8:59 am

Pharce wrote:And blizzard has stated pvp has never been balanced and wont be, this game is a PVE game. PVP is icing...

Theyve said its supposed to be balanced like paper/rock/scissors. Some classes with have obvious advantages over others. While some will be at a big disadvantage towards others. Lets use warriors and rogues for example. The warrior would be the rock and the rogue would be the scissors. A good warrior with good gear should be able to pwn a rogue. Thats fine. I'm cool with that. But what I do take issue with is some classes dont have a clear advantage over anyone. And that doesnt fit the so-called paper/rock/scissors model that the blue posts in the forums speak of.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

Postby Tryte » Wed May 03, 2006 9:03 am

True but they say they wont change class balance for PVP. Which they haven't really followed but...... if you pop cooldowns you have a better chance to win, and it most of the video he pops his cooldown. He isnt doin that much dmg all the time just for the couple seconds per BG. Note he takes 20% more dmg as well when the cooldown is popped.

And as for itemization, mellee will always have the upperhand unless itemization is changed dramatically. I.E. New spells on boss mobs to make up for the "uber" weapons that drop. A 70dps dagger dont do shit for a warlock or mage but its uber for rogues, even if it has 100spell dmg tacked on chances are its a bigger upgrade for the rogue. 100spell dmg on most spells is only like 80ish, where as the weapon dmg is a constant for rogues.

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Wed May 03, 2006 10:00 am

A 70dps dagger is useless if I cannot keep you within melee range. I can sprint, but thats usually when a smart caster will use their fear, stun, root, frostnova, scattershot, trap, snare, and whatever else theyve got to slow me down. Sure, I can sprint and vanish...but once you make me burn it, its kite time and I'm dicked for 5 minutes. Rogues are the most kitable class in the game.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

Postby Tryte » Wed May 03, 2006 10:33 am

And that warrior is screwed for 30 min =) And the ability to stun lock..... only one who can counter that are mages and blink. (Which is broken imo) But i do agree rogue manueverability needs to be addressed but not hte dmg output as most rogues seem to think needs to be changed.

Ohh and IMO a rogue shouldn't be hardheaded enough to try and go 1v1 on in a fight =/ I understand sometimes its unavoidable but chasing a mage is real real dumb =) Run the other way !! Vanish/Stealth then come back and stun lock =)

Ohh and a good mage will fuckign destroy a hunter... (deadzone) ftw

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Wed May 03, 2006 4:09 pm

I've fought enough warriors to not buy in to them being "screwed" because of a 30 minute cooldown. They arent a 1 trick pony. Warriors also get that charge attack that brings them into melee range. God I'd love for rogues to get something similar to that. Other classes have more ways to get away than rogues have to stay close. I've had warlocks dot me and run around in circles till I die. If sprint isnt up, you arent catching them. And even if it is, theyll fear you when you use it. If crippling poison doesnt go off...gg noob learn2play!

I know I make it sound like rogues are horrible, but they really arent. They just need a little help. I find it laughable that the devs picked mages next for adjustments (from a pve or pvp standpoint).

I'm really good 1vs1. I feel like I win more than I lose. I dont think thats all my doing tho. I just think most people (a lot of em!) out there dont know what they are doing against rogues. They talk about stunlock or stealth like its godly. OMG STUNLOCK!!!1!11 WTF!!! Dude, stunlock isnt what it used to be. Its very easy to escape. Name a class and I can tell you a fool-proof way for them to beat rogues. Either way, I still love the class and I'll keep playing it.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

Postby Tryte » Thu May 04, 2006 3:56 am

I agree rogues need some love i just think they have a big bag of tricks as well, the timers on them suck and need to be .... adjusted. im not saying a war wouldnt pound a rogue w/o his cooldown but the video is so impressive because 1) hes in aq lvl dps gear 2) He blew a 30min cooldown every time he filmed the pvp. A rogue in AQ gear a mage or maybe.... priest ouldnt have a shot in hell to beat... just too much burst dmg if the rogue gets the jump. Big IF. And as far as stun lock goes no maybe it isnt what it used to be but it is possible

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Thu May 04, 2006 1:12 pm

ok I'll bite: tell me how druids can beat rogues.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Thu May 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Faerie fire, bear form, and if needed root him, step back and heal yourself. Hell, you dont even need to back him away (so you wont get kicked/interrupted) and have time to heal with natures swiftness. Its also good to root a rogue just to make them blow vanish. Once they use it...you know its gone and if they dont use it, moonfire spam ftw. Moonfire is also just nice because it has a dot with it in addition to the direct damage. Keeping any sort of dot on a rogue at all times to keep them from being hidden is something anyone should do. But youll be using faerie fire anyway, so a rogue disappearing shouldnt be a problem. Vanish will still break the root tho.

I usually hit a rogue with rupture when hes close to dying because I know theyll try to vanish. Theyll hit vanish and reappear within 3 seconds and they are screwed.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Thu May 04, 2006 7:16 pm

Sure, there are ways to keep a rogue from getting away and even some ways to keep them from killing you (assuming they didn't ambush stunlock etc etc) but nothing you mentioned says how to beat the rogue. Moonfire spam is nice to finish someone off or assist other players killing someone a druid will run out of mana before being able to kill anyone with moonfire.

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Sat May 06, 2006 8:05 am

I wasnt saying moonfire spam till he dies. Just moonfire while you've got him rooted, get at max cast range, and bomb him a couple times. Actually. you wont run out of mana. I cant tell you how many times I was killed by moonfire spam back in the day when the only warsong gulch entrance was in the barrens.

Most casters have some sort of instacast damage or dot spell that can be cast while moving. Jump, do a 180 to face the rogue to cast and do another 180 and keep running. If you run in a straight line and a rogue follows you in a straight line, he will never NEVER catch you...unless it takes you over 5 minutes to kill him and sprint recycles. Isnt gonna happen.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Sat May 06, 2006 4:51 pm

ok I'll give you this one. If the rogue is stupid and will follow the druid in a straight line for a few minutes (and forgets about sprint) then the druid can kill him. =)

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Sat May 06, 2006 10:43 pm

i didnt say forget about sprint. i was talking about when sprint isnt an option, because its already been burned. its our only method of regaining melee range on someone once they try to back off. it gets used alot. and like i said in an earlier post, people usually fear, snare, root, or some other movement imparing effect when they see a rogue sprint.

So lets see, you bust sprint, they hit you with a movement imparing effect, so you vanish to remove the movement imparing effect. Your are doted, so you lose invis within 3 seconds. Ok, theres both cooldowns blown and the rogue is exposed...probably with very little time left on sprint. Its about time for sheep, fear, concussive shot or whatever the caster has to recycle and is ready for use again. Meanwhile I gotta wait 5 mins to sprint again.

Return to “Agony General”