Blue October "Hate Me"

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Oobatroll
N00b

Blue October "Hate Me"

Postby Oobatroll » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Powerful, hard hitting song

Or emo crap

Let the debate begin

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:32 pm

never heard of em. just googled and listened to it. ill take total crap for 500 alex.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:39 pm

How about powerful hard-hitting emo crap? Because that's what it is to me. What I find most interesting is that the singer sounds vaguely like Peter Gabriel.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

remagi
End Game

Postby remagi » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:19 pm

I dont know from emo, but the song is bland to me. Honestly I'm pretty sure i've heard that same chord progression about 100 times in the last few years, particularly the transition to the "heartfelt chorus" and subsequent pick up tempo, then falling back to the more expository and slow "insert depression here" background.

With the music industry moving to a pieces and parts production process, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. One part new look/somewhat relevant young "star", one part producer with standard song repertoire, one part glossy post production editor, and 200 parts marketing, et voila, a hit.

-Remagi
GREEN.

"Please don't lock up these words." - Lenny Bruce

Vree
N00b

Postby Vree » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:20 pm

I like the song myself, minus the crappy intro and ending anyway. Radio version makes it easier to listen to in a playlist.

Takes a big man to admit he was the problem in a relationship, bigger one to make a song about it and announce it to the world. Wether the singer commited the deed or not, it hits home I'm sure for alot of people out there with a substance abusing other half.

Another song along it's theme to mention is Flawed Design by Stabilo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~ Vree & Zedreka - Antonidas ~~~
~~~ Vree & Ravenox - Ysera ~~~
Temporarily Retired Agony Cheerleader

Sig Base

Oobatroll
N00b

Postby Oobatroll » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Yeah, I like it as well. Not a fan of the "emo" genre, but some of it does kind of wrench at the 'ol heart strings. If you listen to the beginning of the song, it's his mother on the answering machine. And he replays moments of his life with her, good and bad, thru the video. I think at the end of the video when he lays the answering machine on the grave of his mother it's his way of moving on with his life after her death. He acknowledges his screw-ups and is resolving to do better. That's my take on the song anyway. Of course it doesn't mean this happened to the singer, but it made a good song anyhoo. :wink:

Return to “Agony General”