Joe Rogan vs. Carlos Mencia

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

The Gooch
Sr. Peon

Joe Rogan vs. Carlos Mencia

Postby The Gooch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:49 pm

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/sear ... ia-onstage

Joe went and accosted carlos onstage for joke stealing. The video is kind of annoying but oh well, pretty good tabloid fodder.
The eyes are the groin of the head - Dwight Schrute

EDINGER INCIDENT - Electronica with a splash of Limon

Kaydog
Sr. Peon

Postby Kaydog » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:47 am

man that was painful to watch, I like carlos mencia!
My friend in Australia really wants to get a new boomerang, but he just can't seem to throw the old one away.

scarboar
Sr. Peon

Postby scarboar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:55 am

A shame he looked like a douche the whole time.

Adrienna
End Game

Postby Adrienna » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:14 pm

I used to like Carlos Mencia's stand up comedy before he had his own show. A few of the jokes on his show were ok, but most of it was in bad taste or just not funny. It's too bad, I liked the guy alot and was really looking forward to his show.

Another show I don't understand is the Sarah Silverman show. I like her too, but I just didn't get the humor in her show. Bleh, maybe it's just me.
It's a fledgling Anna's Hummingbird.

Paldail
Sr. Peon

Postby Paldail » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 pm

I dont know if you know this Joe rogan... but I smoke crack!
Paldail lvl 70 Paladin retired!
Arrowup lvl 65 Ranger retired!
Arrowup lvl 60 Hunter retired!

Paldail lvl 70 Warrior - Sold out to Vindication!

Kommisar
End Game

Postby Kommisar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:01 pm

Most comedians, when they get their own show, either feel compelled, or are forced by the producers to try and be much more "main stream", and have to dull down whatever they do to the point of mediocrity so they "don't offend the viewers". It's sad, and a little pathetic.
80 Warrior - Ysera
70 Paladin, Team Karana! (retired)
Undeniable proof:
Forever Can-Head.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:08 pm

Sarah Silverman isn't very funny but she's pleasing to look at most of the time and I think some of her popularity comes from that direction.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

remagi
End Game

Postby remagi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:11 pm

Rogan has always had a huge rod up his ass about this. He called Dane Cook out about it too, and had examples of routines he had stolen.

But he goes about it in such a messed up way I don't think he's really helping. I guess to comics it's that important. To me, it just looks like he's roid raged all the time (and I do think he's on roids, so it's plausible).

-Remagi
GREEN.

"Please don't lock up these words." - Lenny Bruce

Humwuwu
Peon

Postby Humwuwu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Eh, two worthless comedians. Mencia is horribly unfunny and Rogan feels the need to police comics. That and he also hosted Fear Factor. Rogan has also bitched about Denis Leary stealing stuff from Bill Hicks, which I never really understood but never really read into. Never really found Hicks funny unlike Leary, so if someone can steal another's joke and make me laugh then I really don't care.

Didn't hear about the Dane Cook stuff, but he's almost as funny as Mencia. Imo, stand-up has taken a considerable noise-dive since the 80s with a couple good things sprinkled here and there, but most of it is just annonying, e.g. cable guy hack.

Pry is pretty much correct about Silverman. Cute jewish girl saying some outlandish things, all about the shock. That show of hers is pretty bad.

Ink
End Game

Postby Ink » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:50 am

Eddie Izzard is king, everyone else are peasants.
"I ran a couple heroics with Rd a long time ago before he was even in Agony, but I think that's it" - Gannis

Demonikus
Peon

Postby Demonikus » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm

actually he just doesnt want comedians using others material to boost themselves. It's like comedians have jokes as products and by having another comedian steal your jokes, they steal what you are trying to sell. pretty obvious i'm sure but Mencia and Dane have had their share of stealing. The guy with Dane's stuff though gives it to him cause he thinks Dane pulls it off much better than him, oh well.

Relief
N00b

Postby Relief » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:05 am

Sarah Silverman is the best female comedian I have ever heard. I am basing this from her Jesus is magic, and various other things I have seen from her. I have never seen her new show tho.

Ink
End Game

Postby Ink » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:07 am

I have 2 favorite stand ups from comics i dont know. One did perfect impressions of cartoon characters like snugglepuss being gay and other shit. The second was one whose stand up was like about like the circus and aliens... truely fun stuff... wished i knew who it was.
"I ran a couple heroics with Rd a long time ago before he was even in Agony, but I think that's it" - Gannis

Jermz
Sr. N00b

Postby Jermz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:52 am

Thank you for posting this video, i will be emailing it to all my idiot friends who swear mencia is the funniest thing alive.

As for silverman, her show is straight trash.. i've tried to get into it, i gave her the benefit of the doubt because she was funny on crank yankers... but no, her show is trash. Shes not that pretty either.

One did perfect impressions of cartoon characters like snugglepuss being gay and other shit.

i know who you mean, but forgot his name too. that was hillarious btw.

if you guys want some real, ORIGINAL, comedy... check out some shit by Louis CK (star of HBO's Lucky Louie) he just did his own hbo stand up (Shameless) show recently, and it was so far left field you can't help but laugh at him.

Grihm
End Game

Postby Grihm » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:49 am

It's sad that it's seemingly so easy to steal material in the comedy business. Hell, it looks like Mencia has been ripping off big name guys as well as people you've never heard of. If I write a song and publish or release it through ASCAP or something and Britney Spears uses it later on to make a billion dollar hit single I can totally screw her to the wall (and 5 years ago I would have meant that literally :mrgreen:). Seriously though, it's so much easier to copyright your material in the music biz if you're careful.

Return to “Agony General”