I Am Legend Alternate Ending

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Ryan-Roshen
Sr. Peon

I Am Legend Alternate Ending

Postby Ryan-Roshen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:20 pm

Not sure if people have seen this yet. It just got posted this week.

Warner Bros. is trying to pull all the links for this, so not sure how long this link will stay active.

http://www.movieweb.com/video/V08CbwdvMrBaZ3

Braindrop
End Game

Postby Braindrop » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:48 pm

The most interesting part to me is WB pulling it everywhere. It just boggles my mind that they don't see the free advertising aspect of it.

Kommisar
End Game

Postby Kommisar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:59 pm

Braindrop wrote:The most interesting part to me is WB pulling it everywhere. It just boggles my mind that they don't see the free advertising aspect of it.

No shit. I hadn't seen the movie yet, but now I want to...
80 Warrior - Ysera
70 Paladin, Team Karana! (retired)
Undeniable proof:
Forever Can-Head.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Holy Crap that was actually a good ending and much better than the piece of crap I sat through in the movie.

Personally I think the actual ending was the alternate version. All throughout, the movie hints at a higher level of intelligence and sentience in the "creatures" but by the end they had just dropped that whole storyline.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

Veratu
Guild Leader aka BossGnome(tm)

Postby Veratu » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Both endings sucked, but then again I thought the whole movie sucked.

Zombies, disease, oh noes, 28 days in extreme Hollywood mode.

-V
Classic moments in Agony history:
Clarnin says out of character "CHEAL TO ONNESSA"
Minimeatz has been slain by Saryn

Who are you supposed to heal again?
--
The power house of Agony DPS and it's just 2 people!
*Minimeatz, Serafina, Nukiin, Blastiin, Atomiic, Tesia, Shorticus, Ionn, Elektron, Gnutron

Kaydog
Sr. Peon

Postby Kaydog » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Prybutok wrote:Holy Crap that was actually a good ending and much better than the piece of crap I sat through in the movie.

Personally I think the actual ending was the alternate version. All throughout, the movie hints at a higher level of intelligence and sentience in the "creatures" but by the end they had just dropped that whole storyline.

This is exactly what I was thinking, this ending was much better for me
My friend in Australia really wants to get a new boomerang, but he just can't seem to throw the old one away.

Stromm
Staff

Postby Stromm » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I kind of agree with Veratu that both endings sucked. I thought the Movie was good, although I'm a big fan of most movies.
STROMMFUUCCKKKKKKK

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:03 pm

yes V but they weren't zombies, which was the whole point of the deleted ending.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

Noteworthy
End Game

Postby Noteworthy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:45 pm

Veratu wrote:Both endings sucked, but then again I thought the whole movie sucked.

Zombies, disease, oh noes, 28 days in extreme Hollywood mode.

-V

+1

remagi
End Game

Postby remagi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:33 pm

This ending is much better than the original and much closer to the actual Matheson story.

What most people don't realize is that everything they consider this movie derivative us was pretty much ripped off from the Matheson original (I Am Legend was written in the 50s I believe, but in any case it's several decades old). The various George Romero movies, 28 Days, hell even Blade and a few other things that are very common themes in movies now were derived from that book.

The original book is fairly complex and deals with systems of belief and perspective. In short, the doctor (played here by Will Smith) is in fact the last normal person that he knows of, and has been surrounded by people infected by a disease that makes them basically vampires (complete with the garlic fends them off etc). He is desperate to return to a normal life and of course afraid of the vampires; he rigs his house to be nearly impervious to them, and regularly goes around finding them asleep during the day and kills them.

What he doesn't realize is that vampire-infected people are capable of communication and belief systems of their own; to them, HE is the "dracula", the daywalker, the person who goes around when others are helpless and robs them of life without remorse. There is an undercurrent of religion versus science as well.

The book is about how we define ourselves and the monsters in our society; and the belief systems that reinforce those. The Will Smith movie was a cheap shot at making it into a fast action flick, so this ending doesn't really make it good, but it's much better than the original "it will all be ok" one.

-Remagi

P.S. I imagine they are removing it everywhere to build value into the DVD version where this probably exists as a continuous viewing version.
GREEN.

"Please don't lock up these words." - Lenny Bruce

urish
Sr. Peon

Postby urish » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:34 pm

The Omega Man - Charlton Heston
Best Regards,
Urish

Grihm
End Game

Postby Grihm » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:13 pm

Wasn't Omega Man one of, if not the first attempt to put this book from the 50's on screen? I read a little about the book when they were promoting the movie, but I normally wait till I see the movie before I read the book or i'm almost always disappointed.

remagi
End Game

Postby remagi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Yes, Omega man was basically I Am Legend (and based on the Matheson novel) but not titled the same.

-Remagi
GREEN.

"Please don't lock up these words." - Lenny Bruce

Return to “Agony General”