Wii extra's?

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

urish
Sr. Peon

Wii extra's?

Postby urish » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:09 am

Heya,

I just broke down and got a Wii for the family to play.
It's a basic package with the console, 1 controller and sports game.
Also bought mario/sonic olympics.
What other controllers, chargers, or hardware do I need?
Have any favorite games?
Any favorite's for a young child (6)?
Best Regards,
Urish

Accendere1
Sr. Peon

Postby Accendere1 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:48 am

Zelda is awesome. Brawl is awesome. Mario Kart comes out soon too. Mario Galaxy is alright, but it can be trippy at times.

Hook it up online and you can check out the classic games channel, lots of games from regular NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and Sega Saturn on there to choose from. Might need a classic controller or a Gamecube controller.

Stromm
Staff

Postby Stromm » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:02 am

So far a few of my personal favorites would be No More Heroes and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

No More Heroes is definately not child appropriate as almost every other word in the game is some sort of swear.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl may be decent, but I'm not sure how long it would keep a 6 year old interested. It's a fighting game with a wide variety of nintendo characters and you can also play online. It does have different modes ranging from easy to hard, so it's possible he would get some enjoyment out of it but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

I think you did good with just getting the Wii + Mario. I havn't played sonic but I'm sure it's a popular title as far as 6 year olds go. I would recommend getting at least 1 more Wii controller + possibly 2 nun-chucks to get you started. That way any 2-player games you come across you'll be able to play even if they require nun-chucks. A few other recommendations:

Wario Ware - Smooth Moves (Probably $50)

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/wari ... ary;review

I don't know how difficult this would be for a 6 year old to pick up. Alot of the game is just randomly pushing A or shaking the controller the right way at the right time. This game is alot of fun once you get use to it and always a great party game so it has replay value.

Nyko Charge Station - $30ish

http://reviews.cnet.com/game-accessorie ... 63104.html

As you can see this can charge up to 2 controllers and considering I doubt your wii will be subject to large periods of use they should never run out of power between charges. This would save you the hassle of dealing with batteries.

Wii Play - $50ish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Play

It's an extra controller and a game all wrapped up into one. The game doesn't have amazing replay value but it might add some amusement for now. It includes a variety of games with the notable ones being a shooting range (similar to duck hunt), tanks, and lazer hockey. I think the game loses it's replay value fairly quickly, but I think all of the games are 2-players. Also as I said it comes with an additional controller.
STROMMFUUCCKKKKKKK

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 am

Wii Donkey Show is also a great family title.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

Kommisar
End Game

Postby Kommisar » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:28 pm

WarioWare can be kind of entertaining... dunno about for a six year old. Just don't mind uh... some of the controller positions.

Mario Party games are always good for a crowd of pretty much any age.
80 Warrior - Ysera
70 Paladin, Team Karana! (retired)
Undeniable proof:
Forever Can-Head.

Kaydog
Sr. Peon

Postby Kaydog » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz might be a good one to try for him. The main game is pretty simple to pick up, and it comes with 50 minigames, ranging from really good to really bad, but most are pretty fun. It got a lot of bright colors, monkeys, and bananas! How could you go wrong!
My friend in Australia really wants to get a new boomerang, but he just can't seem to throw the old one away.

Noteworthy
End Game

Postby Noteworthy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:34 pm

i second no more heroes.
think grand theft auto with tact.
definitely a must-have.
but yeah, keep it on the top shelf somewhere.

Fiori
Peon

Postby Fiori » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:02 pm

For a six-year old try Happy Feet
"I can kill you with my mind." - River Tam, Serenity

Return to “Agony General”