Traffic Jam got you down? check out some of these...

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Fydax
Staff

Traffic Jam got you down? check out some of these...

Postby Fydax » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:16 am

Grihm
End Game

Postby Grihm » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:04 am

I've been on those magic mushrooms in england. Our first trip over there I was the lucky driver at the wheel when we encountered the one in Swindon. It was unnerving to say the least. Even the locals referred to it as "a total mind fuck of a roundabout".

Fydax
Staff

Postby Fydax » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:09 am

I drive through the 35W & 94 interchange in downtown Mpls about once a month, its fun!

remagi
End Game

Postby remagi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:03 am

I used to drive a motorcycle through this all the time: "The Meatgrinder" as it was known to local residents.

The great thing about this intersection is the people coming from the south on 395 heading north invariably want to get over to the far right, and they come from the very center of that road. The people getting on from the large Fraconia intersection just to the south of this location invariably want to get to the far left. Add to that the various overpassess, loops, at times triple layered ramps (which you can't see in the satellite pic of course), and it's a real joy. People get killed here all the time.

When I was in England, i had a blast. They give you these little teeny 1.3 liter cars, which is fine because everybody has those, not just you. And all of them pretty much wail the crap out of them, driving at 80kph down little back roads that don't even have center lines or divides. I wondered at first why all the bushes on the side of the road looked beat up, then I had my first mid-turn encounter with a trolley.

-Remagi
GREEN.

"Please don't lock up these words." - Lenny Bruce

Grihm
End Game

Postby Grihm » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:24 pm

True enough. We were doing 90 on the motorway and were passed by a family of 5 in the smallest car I'd ever seen. It wasn't quite a SMART car, but it was damn close.

And don't even get me started on the SMART cars. You can pick those damn things up and carry them with you in lieu of parking.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:40 pm

I drove a SMART this past summer. While it was incredibly spacious and moderately comfortable, the tiny diesel engine left a lot to be desired.

Besides, I am waiting for these wondrous machines to be built. Thankfully, it looks like I might have less than a year left to wait. Hooray.

It might end up looking more like this though.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

Noteworthy
End Game

Postby Noteworthy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:59 am

Prybutok wrote:I drove a SMART this past summer. While it was incredibly spacious and moderately comfortable, the tiny diesel engine left a lot to be desired.

Besides, I am waiting for these wondrous machines to be built. Thankfully, it looks like I might have less than a year left to wait. Hooray.

It might end up looking more like this though.

... just sack up and get a fucking bike!

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:02 am

Why? I don't want a bike. I want a Tron LightCycle.

kadoolaroo
Sr. Peon

Postby kadoolaroo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Prybutok wrote:Why? I don't want a bike. I want a Tron LightCycle.

They have a SMART dealership here but I havent seen anything like that.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Yeah it's not a SMART car, it's from a California company called Venture One, which is building a car based on technology they bought from a Dutch company that hand builds a vehicle called the Carver One. You can't get a Carver in the US and even if you could they cost about $50k (handmade is costly). The Carver One has a tiny 600cc engine but weighs very little so it will do 115mph and 0-60 in around 7 seconds. The vehicles from Venture One will be a bit different (hybrid and plug in electric) and must faster off the line.

Links to Vids of the Carver:

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear likes it

Just found this skid vid

Quick vid of some road tests

Return to “Agony General”