Mage Review

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Milkfactory
Peon

Mage Review

Postby Milkfactory » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:48 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but these are the things they are looking at for the mage review.

A couple things I hope they implement (sp)

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... post496940
RagnarO's, the tasty cereal with a molten core. "By Fiber Be Purged!"

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:39 pm

The short version:

1. Give yet another class more power. Mages, its your turn.

2. Give the rogues nothing. Hence, making them weaker. Also fix/tweak rogue abilities which also indirectly makes them weaker.

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:10 pm

whine some more....

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm

I shall! And you shall like it! heh

Oobatroll
N00b

Postby Oobatroll » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:30 am

Kyokan, that's called mage envy. It's like penis envy, only not. But as a fellow rogue I must say I agree. If it doesn't benefit me then I say bs.

Guldaen
N00b

Postby Guldaen » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:48 am

Just remember, more DMG = Mobs die faster. I know some of you people love to PVP but remember this is a raiding guild, the more we can kill and faster, the better it is. So yay, mages kill more, good thing.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

hmm

Postby Tryte » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:02 am

Make Silence affect Hunters

PUSSIES
I saw like 5 things on there that would either nerf mages or are just completely fucking stupid. Like because warlock pets get silence we should as well.... The hunter silence thing cracks me up.
"A method by which to interrupt melee attacks, much in the way melee classes have caster interrupts " Ok if you drop spell dmg to that of a mellee attack. I mean for fucks sake. Some (most) of these things are awesome but some look like the same set of retarded forum trolls bitched about them enough that a blue actually started to believe them.
Ohh
"Numerous bugs which have been prevalent for a while affect gameplay negatively for mages. Mages would like more attention invested to correcting these (espc. Blink, Arcane Missiles)"

Dude alot of mages saving grace in pvp is the fact arcane missles has no spell range as long as it starts while a person is in range..... And comparing str/agi (atk power) dps upgrades to int/spi is stupid. Give us +melee dmg gear and blizzard can make spell power thingy for ya based on int or spi.

Not to say mages dont need fixes and so on but... youd think they might actually bitch about giving you a feint like spell instead of bitching about insta cast portals, Well im sure i pissed someone off, i didnt mean to its just jeesus, get some half compitant people to send a blue your concerns some of this shit is just pathetic not to mention unjustified, like arcane explosion, it aint nessisary just nice hence why everyone gets it.. would be uber as an insta cast but.... can we make trueshot aura a spell instead of a talent?

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:21 am

at least blizzard makes sweeping changes, how long did it take for SOE to fix some of the busted ass shit with classes in EQ? wait in some cases they never did. AlKabor's line of shitty spells anyone? you ever see them go back adn fundamentally alter the way spells and talents work? hell no they jsut add more shit to hide it in the next expansion.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

Postby Tryte » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:22 am

yeah but eq had like 5million spells

Arly
End Game

Postby Arly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:45 am

Pharce, the thing about Arcane Missiles doesn't have anything to do with it's range. In some parts of the world, the spell doesn't cast AT ALL. It still takes your mana, which is a hefty chunk, and still shows the channeling bar, but no missiles actually show up, and the mob receives no damage. This is a BUG, and needs to be fixed. The bug with blink is that half the time, it doesn't work. I've blinked backwards. I've blinked and gone nowhere, even with nothing in front of me. Considering blink is oftentimes used as a means of excape in a life-or-death situation, blinking and not going anywhere usually isn't a good thing. This is a BUG, and needs to be fixed.

And about your "melee damage" thing, you HAVE melle damage. It's called agility and attack power. BOth of those affect how hard you hit things. Magesd only have spell damage items. THe more int we have, makes no difference in how hard we hit, just gives us another crit percentage, just like your agility does for you. So while your agility stat gives you many beneifts, such as dps, dodge, crit, and whatever else, int for casters gives them...a biggerr mana pool and a crit percentage for liek every 100 int or some shit.

And as far as "dropping spell damage to that of a melee attack," please, give me a break, you guys get upgrades to weapons that ups your dps, our spells are a finite amount of damage, and the only way to up it is dmg gear. Not to mention factoring in resists, and casting time. I've seen plenty of melee weapons that do several hundred damage every swing. Yes, I know about weapon speed and such, and also keep in mind that every swing done on a mage while they are casting interrupts casting time, making each spell take longer. So yeah, it's an issue.

Giving us an aggro-reduction spell has been a gripe for a long time. Most of us would rather see that than some lame insta-cast portal or whatever you mentioned.

I'm not "elite" gamer or anything, and I don't put in the time and effort to calculate half the shit that some people do, all I know are obvious flaws that I've experienced myself. These are obvious to me.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

weee

Postby Tryte » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:18 pm

as for our weapon upgrades every piece of gear "can" be a weapon upgrade for you in the form of +dmg. Granted mellee dont have to sacrifice "agi" in this case for a better weapon (sometimes) but also we cant crit for 4k+, have combat cc, and a plethora of other nifty things. Everyone plays the balance between dmg and utility, but having some mage nuke for 1.3kish non-nuke (which is possible) and still having those other abilities and still bitching about hunters and rogues having agi that boosts our dmg seems trite. The best fix they could do for mages would be a feint spell, blink and other such broke ass spells do need to be addressed but asking for an assload more dmg while keeping that utility is ...... poor at best. Especially considering some of the things they asked for as far as more utility. (i.e. Silence and ae sheep) I do think they should give you spell upgrades better than those of the mellee classes. Mages made their toons with int = crit and spi = regen and +dmg gear exsists and i personally think its in bad form to bitch about it now. If they gave you a feint mages would be top dps pending its effectivness.

I dont think its a matter of spell dmg i think its a matter of aggro.... all IMO

Arly
End Game

Postby Arly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:44 pm

I agree with you that alot of the requests made are just dumb. AE sheep is ghey. I'd much rather see polymorph turn mobs into different creatures, making it easier to differentiate who's sheep is who's. For example, frogs, sheep, snakes, cockroaches, whatever. Keep the same spell, just change the graphic, make it random what your mob gets turned into. Not game-breakign or uber-powerful, just more interesting. I'm not going to get into a big argument with you about class utility and whatnot, cause for one, i don't do enough research to completely pwn you in an argument, and two, i just don't care that much. I will say that While mages made their toons knowing about int and spirit, most of us mages also made them when the description on the WoW website was "masters of ranged damage" and "glass cannons" and the like, and now, well, we are not. Or description has changed to that of being supportive to our groups by making water and sheeping extra mobs. Sorry, that's not why I made a mage. I had my hunter for survivability, with moderate damage, and I made my mage to be a super-nuker, out damaging everyone, but being able to die easily. Now, I'm still able to die easily, but that top damage spot is far far above my head, unattainable unless I spend hours upon hours looking up, researching, and farming for gear and materials to up my damage. I know, every class has to do that to a degree, I'm not saying they don't. All I'm saying is, hours of work farming for gear to make me fit my ORIGINAL job description is not what most mages got used to when they started the class. The game has changed, and this is why mages are bitching.

Every class will get a review, and they will all be updated, so I'm not too worried about it.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

Postby Tryte » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:47 pm

YEah i agree, only thing i can see diff between our comments is that i think Mages have the potential to be exactly that "a glass cannon" Shit ya could do it now but youd be dead in about 10seconds =) You guys hit like trucks as is just aggro seems to fubar any real long term dmg. IE give mages a half decent aggro reducer and let life be on its way, all those changes arent really nessisary IMO

Ohh and WTB a friendly sheep like that cept you can still do everything, you coudl turn the raid into cows and frogs n shit would be pwn!!

Arly
End Game

Postby Arly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 pm

Aggro reduction would be huge. There are some uneducated morons who say "Iceblock! Just use iceblock, it makes you lose alll your aggro." Well, couple problems with that lil theory.
1) Iceblock is not a core ability, it is a talent, a 30-point talent at that. What do mages who don't want to be frost specced do?
2) It's on a 5-minute cooldown. Great for "oh shit" emergencies, not as a good resource for aggro reduction. Yes, you can use Cold Snap, which resets the timer, so you can use it twice, but Cold Snap, also a talent, is on a 10-minute cool down of it's own.
3) Iceblock doesn't wipe your aggro. It keeps you safe and immune from damage for 10 seconds, in which case you PRAY that someone else has more hate than you by the time it's over, or the mob comes right back for you.
4) Iceblock is useless againt that General guy's thunderclap thing in AQ 20-man, the 2nd boss guy. That really doesn't have anything to do with this schpeel, but I discovered it the other day when we killed him. Just so all you frost mages know :)

Tryte
Sr. Peon

weee

Postby Tryte » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:10 pm

i didnt mention iceblock!! =(

Return to “Agony General”