Mage Review

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Arly
End Game

Postby Arly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:11 pm

I know, but it's the closest thing to "aggro reduction" that we have, so before anyone brought it to the boards as the end-all-save-all of mages, I wanted to knock that theory out :) just thinking ahead.

Herc
Staff

Postby Herc » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:09 pm

1. Give yet another class more power. Mages, its your turn.

2. Give the rogues nothing. Hence, making them weaker. Also fix/tweak rogue abilities which also indirectly makes them weaker.

I think the biggest issue with Mages is they arent that great in PvE. Take a fully MC geared rogue, and a Full MC geared mage. Aside from AE situations, on say straight up boss DPS, who does more? Rogues hands down in most cases. In EQ when I parsed our damage most fights, it was always the rogues and wizards at the top, and sometimes rangers depending on the duration of the fight. Considering both classes play the same rolls in this game in PvE, as in damage dealers, why does the rogue have such an advantage? They shouldn't, but they do.

Jocca
Sr. N00b

Postby Jocca » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:53 pm

I dont even mind the rogues so much, its the hunters, warriors and warlock's that bug me the most. The orginal class discription said rogues were the only class the could come close to dealing the same damage as a mage.

If you want mages to be mixed in with 4 other classes for the top spot, no problem, but give me some way to survive longer.

Kyokan
Sr. Peon

Postby Kyokan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:18 pm

Oobatroll wrote:Kyokan, that's called mage envy. It's like penis envy, only not. But as a fellow rogue I must say I agree. If it doesn't benefit me then I say bs.

I dont envy mages. I just think they are already powerful enough...especially in PvP. I love my rogue. I hardly play any of my alts...because they just arent as fun.

The only valid concern with mages that I agree with is agro management. Ok, give them something like fade/feint and call mages fixed. Make arcane missles work right. Thats all they need.

Milkfactory
Peon

Postby Milkfactory » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:46 am

I'm pretty happy with mages. My main is a fire mage, and Tola is a fire mage too. Just so much damned fun. Been playing a mage since closed beta.

Some of the proposed ideas sound really cool though.

IMHO, it's the most balanced, fixed, complete class in the game and always has been.
RagnarO's, the tasty cereal with a molten core. "By Fiber Be Purged!"

Hurrk
N00b

Postby Hurrk » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:50 am

Don't let yourselves get caught up in the player generated rhetoric, this is not a class review. From the blue poster himself (4 months ago):

Let it be known that this is something of a first draft and should not be considered the end-all-be-all of Mage feedback.

Just feedback. Ala SOE's player bitch management system they used on the SOE boards. You remember, where "blue posters" would be talking class balancing with angry paying customers, and the angry paying customers would feel better about themselves and keep paying. It never accomplished much of anything in terms of game change, just small things here and there. A WoW example of such a small change is changing how much crystal water we get on a single summon.

So the blue poster opened the thread four months ago, and hasn't posted in it since. Meanwhile all the angry mage playing customers got to join in on the "class review feeding frenzy" in a thread which was never described as a class review thread to begin with, and finally the thread ran out of speed and went idle and died two weeks after the original blue post......also four months ago.

When they make a public announcement they are reviewing the class for change, like they did for hunters, paladins and I think warlocks (as best I can remember anyway), then such discussion might prove to be something more than empty meaningless rhetoric.
Last edited by Hurrk on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hurrk
Mage of Agony
Doomhammer

"It's GOOD to be a Glass Cannon."

Weredaer
N00b

Postby Weredaer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:58 am

Hurrk wrote:When they make a public announcement they are reviewing the class for change, like they did for hunters, paladins and I think warlocks (as best I can remember anyway), then such discussion might prove to be something more than empty meaningless rhetoric.

Umm.. I think you may need to crawl out of your cave a little more often Hurrk. Mages are next up on the block for a class review after the 1.10 patch. That's what they're discussing.

From the mouth of the Blue Horse
Honest officer, the dwarf was on fire when I got here!
-------------------------------------------------------
I used to be a shaman, but I was bitten by a rabbid night elf.

Tryte
Sr. Peon

wee

Postby Tryte » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:59 am

i think we all understand that hurrk its just some of the ideas they are trying to push bug me, mages > alot in pvp and pve dps they suck, a simple feignt spell would put them where they need to be, dps upgrades are just gonna get ppl killed more often........

Hurrk
N00b

Postby Hurrk » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:25 am

Well Weredaer, in that thread you reference the point of the discussion seems to be who should "really" be next for review, with shaman players being very vocal about being skipped twice (which is a valid issue as well). However, I appreciate the fact the thread has at least only died out a couple weeks ago, rather than four months ago like the originally cited thread.

I am looking for more than that to convince me. Some updates to the WoW homepage citing some of the changes being considered, like we saw for previous class changes. Perhaps a blue post in the WoW forums specifically citing some of the changes being evaluated. At any rate, something a hella lot more concrete and demonstrative than:

Mages will be up for review next.
Hurrk

Mage of Agony

Doomhammer

"It's GOOD to be a Glass Cannon."

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:37 am

mages are indeed next hurrk, i know because i read a LOT of forums. i'm not going to link them all here, i'm too lazy. but rest assured you're next on the block. shamans will continue to wait simply because people can't seem to whittle down the list of shit to adjust.

over the last few weeks they've been zeroing in on various mage issues and trying to gather specific feedback on talents and spells. nto the normal "hey fellas whatup?" crap but actually poring over it, generally they start doing this right before one class' retuning goes live and they shift focus to the next one. (the did the exact same tihng for warlocks paladins and priests prior to changes).

now why do i read or care about this? well i play all the those classes, and i like to know what's going on, coming up and how to prepare accordingly.

rest assured they'll get to you, they're trying to tune each class before the expansion.

Weredaer
N00b

Postby Weredaer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:20 am

Well, I'm not really sure how you get more concrete than a statement by a blue poster that mages will be next. Other than that, I wouldn't expect any of those things that you listed until after the 1.10 patch. Priests are still the ones under the microscope and they haven't even released the patch to the test server yet.
Honest officer, the dwarf was on fire when I got here!

-------------------------------------------------------

I used to be a shaman, but I was bitten by a rabbid night elf.

Return to “Agony General”