Going to see Harry Potter in IMAX?

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:25 pm

Oh and *Hed, damn you are a snob.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain." -Captain Murphy

Adrienna
End Game

Postby Adrienna » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 pm

I have no idea what kind of theaters you guys go to, but I have been to three different IMAX theaters and they have all been great. The Mira Mesa Edwards theater in San Diego, an AMC theater in Seattle, and the Pacific Science Center also in Seattle.

And the HP in IMAX also has 12 minutes in 3D if you like that sort of thing.
It's a fledgling Anna's Hummingbird.

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:40 pm

i've only been to two imax theaters, one in san francisco-the seating is far too steep and the screen is too close to the audience for a three story wall. the other one was the san jose imax where it's all projected on a half dome almost 80 degrees above your head so you end up with neck strain by the end of a two hour film. and in both cases the sound is cranked up so high if anything explodes your balls vibrate.

Minxie
Sr. Peon

Postby Minxie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 am

I've never cared much for IMAX theatres, I've been to several in Arizona, California, Florida, and Chicago. But I'm totally gonna have to plan a trip to the one Doom goes to, as I've never had my balls vibrate. Sounds nifty, I'd pay $15.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:58 am

Just how big are your balls Minxie?

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:52 am

she has the strap on variety!

Idyaar
End Game

Postby Idyaar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:12 am

The movie was great! We are going to see the Imax version in a few weeks. If you read the books, there was a lot of details left out. but, it actually was OK in this movie to an extent (No funeral??? WTF?)

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Idyaar wrote:The movie was great! We are going to see the Imax version in a few weeks. If you read the books, there was a lot of details left out. but, it actually was OK in this movie to an extent (No funeral??? WTF?)

a lot left out? shit they damn near cut 3/4 out.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

I liked it. It was beautiful had wonderful music and was funny in a way Harry Potter movies haven't been in awhile. Of course, I could be liking the movie more because HBP was my least favorite of the books but who knows.

Idyaar
End Game

Postby Idyaar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Doomsayer wrote:
Idyaar wrote:The movie was great! We are going to see the Imax version in a few weeks. If you read the books, there was a lot of details left out. but, it actually was OK in this movie to an extent (No funeral??? WTF?)

a lot left out? shit they damn near cut 3/4 out.

OK, they didn't leave out 3/4. But, they did leave a lot of stuff out that did not move the story along. The books are just too detailed to get a great movie out of it seems. They have the right idea for 7 by doing 2 parts. But, even with 2 movies, I am afraid the overall story will be lost.

Who knows? The movie was a lot funnier as Pry says. The ending they chose with Dumbledore was moving. But, it should have been true to the book and that was bad.

Lastly, the Elder Wand just sitting in Dumbledore's office? HUH?

Cazhmir
N00b

Postby Cazhmir » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Waiting to go see it on IMAX too here in Denver :)

kisses to you all!

-caz

Kommisar
End Game

Postby Kommisar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Just saw it tonight. It was good... but I don't know about "the best Harry Potter movie yet" stuff.

All the other movies felt fairly self-contained. Sure, you wouldn't know all the characters and might not get all the jokes and references if you hadn't read the books or seen any of the other movies, but you could jump right in with #5 and the movie would still hold a complete story for you.

This one was the first one that really felt like an episode instead of a complete film.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing when you have a series as long as this... it just felt different than the other films because of it.
80 Warrior - Ysera
70 Paladin, Team Karana! (retired)
Undeniable proof:
Forever Can-Head.

Idyaar
End Game

Postby Idyaar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Kommisar wrote:Just saw it tonight. It was good... but I don't know about "the best Harry Potter movie yet" stuff.

All the other movies felt fairly self-contained. Sure, you wouldn't know all the characters and might not get all the jokes and references if you hadn't read the books or seen any of the other movies, but you could jump right in with #5 and the movie would still hold a complete story for you.

This one was the first one that really felt like an episode instead of a complete film.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing when you have a series as long as this... it just felt different than the other films because of it.

Yes, this is more of a series movie then a movie within itself. The ending is a prelude to the Deathly Hallows. I don't think there was anyway to end it differently though. Even the scene in the book wasn't a true ending.

Prybutok
Staff

Postby Prybutok » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:28 am

That's pretty much the fault of the book. The whole thing was pretty much setting the stage for the last book. If it hadn't been for the death of Dumbledore, this chapter of the story would have been very uneventful (unless you count Ron's romantic adventures as eventful).

Gonz
End Game

Postby Gonz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:35 am

The movie was great, but it wasn't good enough to take away from the fact that it was the worst book in the series! All it does is lead up to the next one, which won't be out forever!

Return to “Agony General”