C++

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Magermeister
Sr. N00b

C++

Postby Magermeister » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:18 pm

So I've recently become interested in programming, and I want to start learning C++. Can anyone recommend their favorite books or resources? It'd be nice if it was oriented towards beginners, since I'm a muggle dabbling in magic.

Xephos
End Game

Postby Xephos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:12 am

Pro Tip: Don't learn C++

Just ask Agbar
Permanent Agony FNG
"I only wanna do it once, and I want to be strapped into a dude"

Kommisar
End Game

Postby Kommisar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:27 am

Do you know any other programming languages?

C++ is a beast to take on as your first one... if you've never learned to think in algorithms before, I might start with Visual Basic or Java... or even Pascal (which is structurally very similar to plain old no bells and whistles C... but has more rules).
80 Warrior - Ysera
70 Paladin, Team Karana! (retired)
Undeniable proof:
Forever Can-Head.

Magermeister
Sr. N00b

Postby Magermeister » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm just a straight beginner, and haven't learned any other programming languages yet. I'm starting work writing/editing gaming reviews, and I'd like to expand my horizons; so I'm thinking that programming would be a good avenue. While speaking to people so far, I've been referred to Java, C, and Pascal. I heard that college freshmen in computer science usually start with C, so I was thinking it would be a good pick.

Xephos
End Game

Postby Xephos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:17 pm

For me at least, Java was probably the easiest to learn. It has a nice beginners learning curve and you can do many things with it. Then again, I had to take two classes on it, so it could be different from a classroom setting to just learning from home.

I don't think I began taking C++ until after my Computer Algorithms class, like what Kommi said. I'm not sure if that class helped any, it was more the fact that I just didn't like C++ (ISO or CLI).
Permanent Agony FNG

"I only wanna do it once, and I want to be strapped into a dude"

remagi
End Game

Postby remagi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:31 pm

I learned C++ as my first object oriented language. As long as you dont immediately start diving into polymorphism or bizarre inheritance schemes, it's completely able to teach you how OO works. Java and C# are both somewhat better about driving home data binding to an object, but you can just write good C++ code and get the same thing.

In terms of what games are written in, if you are talking console or PC titles, they are overwhelmingly in C and C++ as languages. Web based delivery is often in Java or Flash (Flash is a TERRIBLE programming language, as it confuses the visual characteristics of display with ownership of state and execution sequence, and in any real programming system they should be only marginally related).

The definitive resource is Stroustrups "The C++ Programming Language" as he is, after all, the guy who invented it. I would also highly recommend "Effective C++" as a great conceptual and basic semantics guide.
GREEN.

"Please don't lock up these words." - Lenny Bruce

Return to “Agony General”