If you live in Georgia...

This is where general Agony discussion takes place.

Moderator: Staff

Kguku
Sr. Peon

Postby Kguku » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm coming to repo your house, grumpry!

Argagarg
End Game

Postby Argagarg » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Age limits on life, time limits on homelessness; eliminating half the dead weight in the country. All hail Hitlarg as your new supreme ruler.

Luhed
End Game

Postby Luhed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Go sharks!

Xephos
End Game

Postby Xephos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 pm

penis
penis
milf
milf
Permanent Agony FNG
"I only wanna do it once, and I want to be strapped into a dude"

Kaydog
Sr. Peon

Postby Kaydog » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:11 pm

god dammit gonz look at what you've done
My friend in Australia really wants to get a new boomerang, but he just can't seem to throw the old one away.

Guljit
End Game

Postby Guljit » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Kguku wrote: Bankers are inherently greedy and stupid. I know this, I am one.

The cause of the financial crisis? Kguku. I'm glad we all have that straight now.

And I really agree with everything you've said, KG, but I think that's its really important for Obama not too look like a pussyass. He needs to say to Congress "this bill goes through or I have a hatchet with your dicks name on it". Your average ninja isn't going to be impressed by some White House juffalo who can't even manage to lead the legislature and I think Herculeez B. Pussyfiend and the Psychocrats are looking strong for the 2012 elections.
<--- A delicious high protein snack!

Guljit: "I can't decide whether to go do Kara or see my x-girlfriend."
Niiko: "Either way, you are just plowing old content."

Cobaro
Sr. Peon

Postby Cobaro » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:46 pm

its really important for Obama not too look like a pussyass.

Arnold for president!

Arsinoe
Sr. Peon

Postby Arsinoe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Obama's problem is less about what he is actually doing, and more about his own PR.

GW, Clinton, Reagan...all knew how to work a crowd. You can say whatever you want about GW but he got the support he did not because of his intelligence (which I happen to agree, is lacking) but because he knew how to bring people together (his approval ratings after 9/11 were the highest of any president, and all he did was say 'fuck terrorists' in a way we could all relate to; some of that is a factor of timing, some of that is because he didn't pussyfoot around the fact that we were gonna fuck some shit up and that's what everyone wanted to hear). And he could do it without even really speaking English most of the time, just sayin.

Obama needs to learn to work a crowd better. Once he does, instead of being judged by the things he inherited, he will start being seen as harbinger of positive change that his party campaigned him as.

P.S. We need better posts, I'm bored.

Rathic
End Game

Postby Rathic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Kguku wrote:
Luhed wrote:The republicans just exploited the program by passing laws to deregulate banks.

Allowing lower income families the opportunity to acquire a home of their own and providing some sort of assistance to get them off the ground is perfectly fine, the problem arose due to what I just quoted, which is deregulating. Bankers are inherently greedy and stupid. I know this, I am one. I have worked in the industry for almost 15 years. They make stupid decisions because of their opportunity to make money or show how amazing they are without looking at long term repercussions. People look to build their little empire, and in some ways watching things happen can be quite interesting, but you can also see just how focused they are at their short term gains and not thinking about long term ramifications.

This is why regulations need to be in place for something as critical as banking. This is why you don't see Canada suffering the same kind of recession the US did and why our economy is so strong, because we maintained our regulations. There was a tonne of pissing and moaning about putting in some deregulation, but the government stood pat on our current banking laws and stuck to their guns, and honestly we're better for it.

Putting in moderate changes to help people benefit, good, exploiting the system or putting it to a critical breaking point? Bad.

I'm not saying Obama is great, I don't really care either way. I'm saying don't be stupid and put all the blame on him when the past 8 years was wrecked by a completely different group. No 1 person can fix your economy in a year, thinking Obama can work magic is stupid. Blaming him for a stimulus package that was going to happen regardless is stupid. Give him his 4 years and judge him from there.

No one puts ALL the blame on him. I put the blame on the Democratic Party and the Neo-Cons. You act as if congress had nothing to do with anything during the entire Bush administration. People just seem to glance over the fact that the Dems had a large majority in congress for over two years before Obama came to power. So where does that leave us?

It is as I said. A large portion of the populace was misled into thinking that G.W. was the lesser of two evils. We found out later that he was not. Simply because you did not agree with his policies from the beginning of his administration does not qualify you as some seer of things to come in terms of American politics.

The war was unfounded and a lie. A lot of us then active duty service men believed the war was just... of course, it was what we were told. I disagree now, but it is hardly worth noting anymore.

In terms of the debt, the same congress that started that process is still in control today. Nothing has changed except that an under-qualified, snake oil salesman has become president and managed to spend even more.

Economics is a funny thing. The economy will not die due to the spending... we just have to all be alright with the elimination of the middle class. Once we are all working class, it will truly be a paradise, will it not?

Btw, I do agree with you on the Glass-Steagall Act. It should never have been repealed. I am all for deregulation, but some things are needed to preserve the balance, especially in banking.
Rathic - Newb Druid of Agony

Guljit
End Game

Postby Guljit » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Rathic wrote:
The war was unfounded and a lie. A lot of us then active duty service men believed the war was just... of course, it was what we were told. I disagree now, but it is hardly worth noting anymore.

This. I'd be much more inclined to calmly weigh the merits and flaws of the Bush administration and its impact on the current one if Bush hadn't taken our military and about a trillion dollars over to the Middle East for a combination bloodbath/WMD scavenger hunt based on faulty intelligence gathered and approved by the executive branch, killing thousands of troops and hundreds of thousands of civilians and many other horrible repercussions.

Obama inherited an epic, epic shitstorm and how we got there isn't as important as how we get out of it and prevent it from happening again. We seem to have avoided the second Great Depression and I mark that up as a fantastic success (same thing with the health care bill, but that's a different issue). Obama might end up destroying the country/nominating Carrot Top for the Supreme Court/appointing zombie Stalin to be Secretary of Death Panels, I have no idea what he will do just like Bush voters didn't know back in 2000. I'm with Rathic, we can't disparage someone for not being an oracle; party politics deludes us into thinking that there is a winning side when we really all win or lose together.

Phace
Sr. Peon

Postby Phace » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Jimmy Carter lives in Georgia. Get the fuck over it!
Phace

Doomsayer
End Game

Postby Doomsayer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 am

Cobaro wrote:
its really important for Obama not too look like a pussyass.

Arnold for president!

he's ineligible for the presidency as he wasn't born here.

Cobaro
Sr. Peon

Postby Cobaro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 am

According to the news some still believe that Obama isn't eligible for the presidency apparently.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/04/14 ... rn-in-u-s/

Guljit
End Game

Postby Guljit » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 am

Cobaro wrote:According to the news some still believe that Obama isn't eligible for the presidency apparently.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/04/14 ... rn-in-u-s/

Haha, that's so weak.

Even if the absurd claims of the birthers were true Obama would still be eligible under Title 8 Section 1401: "Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years". And even if he were born on Mars to a nice troll couple he's still the president and can't be removed by anything short of impeachment.

Argagarg
End Game

Postby Argagarg » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

Atleast I'm not the only one that gets nervous around....

Return to “Agony General”